how to start another story


After finishing secondary school, I went to South America to live and travel there before I started to study International Management in Karlsruhe, Germany.
Without knowing any Spanish I arrived in Colombia and was about to learn the language in almost three months to be able to communicate with people and learn about their culture.
After that I travelled to Chile and worked there in a hostel for two months. As the Chilean Spanish is completely different from the Spanish I had learnt until then I was facing another challenge which was, after all, working out very well.
I went to Patagonia to live and work on a local farm where I helped the family to till their fields and do the harvesting as they had over 90 hectares of land and several animals to look after. This place is where I remembered my passion for harvesting, agriculture and exploring nature in general. To see the family enjoy their basic life, being outside all day and teaching me such a knowledge in only two month was incredibly impressing to me.
As my career does not really seem to be compatible to the lifestyle I explored in southern Chile, I want to prove myself that it can be possible to combine a manager’s and a gardener’s life. I don’t only want to take responsibility concerning projects at work, but also for everything else in my life, especially for myself and my inner balance.
I chose Lincoln University for my semester abroad because of its reference to agriculture and environmental studies. Also I imagine its dimensions of only 4000 students to be a unique experience as for studying in small groups and being guided individually. The fact that the university is situated near Christchurch allows me to experience living in a medium sized city and the big city life.
I do not only want to study in New Zealand, but explore the island and get to all the spots I have already heard of a lot. After talking to a good friend of mine who lived in New Zealand, I am excited to explore the countryside there. He told me about walks to the mountains like Mount Stokes in the north, or through different national parks like the Tasman National Park or the Mount Cook National Park and Lake Pukaki, as well as Akaroa, which is actually not far away from Christchurch.
Of course I know this is not all, there is so much left to do and to see in New Zealand. Therefore I consider it best to go there and make my own experiences.

Kommentare